1/8/07

The Godfather is Dead

Well, I'm finding it difficult to keep this blog up to date. And of course, like two days after I create it, the Godfather of Soul up and dies. This would normally be cause for an eulogy, but since I've been so slack, I'll simply make a mention of it.

I never got the chance to see JB perform live, though I've seen Maceo and many of the JB's. By the time I had realized what funk was, JB was rarely performing for the public, and when he did it was a $300 dollar affair in some faraway place. I think his popularity and success bred a certain feeling of contempt for the general public which is ironic, given his meager upbringing. Who can blame him, though, as he is almost single-handedly responsible for the birth and boom of a genre (funk). Not to mention the influences that he's had on other artists and types of music (re: hip-hop). Of course the man loved money, so maybe that was just it.

That is all I've got for now. Feel free to share your JB experiences in the slapbacks section.

No comments: