1/16/07

Couple of Funky Shows this Weekend

Check out the tribute to the one and only musical genius that was James Brown. It's going down this Saturday at the Apache Cafe. It's officially called "The House that James Built pt. 4 - Tribute to James Brown" and features a host of local DJs spinning true funk from James Brown and his entourage (JB's, Maceo, Bootsy, etc.). Below is the flyer. Also, Saturday night is Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk at the Roxy Theatre. I've never seen them, but the Nevilles are notorious for their roots in Cajun funk (Funky Meters, Wild Tchapatoulos, etc.), and with a name like Dumpstaphunk, they've got to be worth a listen.

If you happen to check into either of these shows, comment back with a review if you feel like it. I will be at Apache listening to tons of JB spun on the 1's and 2's.

P.S. I know that I missed "What's up with what's going down" and didn't post a playlist for last week. The WUWWGD hasn't changed much so reference last week's for funky events, and check next week for an update. Also, I wasn't at the show, so I'll get the old playlist (spun by El Dogg and Cozy Shawn) up asap.

No comments: